Private equity investment in Southeast Asia declined to US$12 billion last year after reaching a record high of $14 billion in 2017, with COVID-19 posing a risk to investment this year, a global consulting firm says.According to “Southeast Asia Private Equity Report” published by Bain & Company, last year’s private equity investment in Southeast Asia was driven by the internet and technology sector, which represented over 60 percent of all deals, especially in Indonesia.However, the COVID-19 pandemic and the global recession in 2020 will challenge private equity investment this year as investors look for ways to protect their investments and reemerge stronger after the crisis, the report said. “In preparation for this period, general partners are looking at the global financial crisis as an indicator of what to expect moving forward,” said Bain & Company partner Usman Akhtar.“During the global financial crisis, the number of funds raised in Asia Pacific countries flat-lined and were significantly smaller,” Akhtar said. “While investors are likely to remain committed to private equity during this crisis, fundraising will slow.”The report said that before COVID-19, investors regarded Southeast Asia as a challenging environment for private equity with high multiples and a lack of deal opportunities in Thailand and the Philippines.“With the current pandemic, we expect a sustained impact on the PE industry throughout the year with more companies looking for financing given the cash flow situation.”Investment recovery will depend on how long it takes to “reopen the economy” as well as what social-distancing measures are still in force, Bain said.Bain expects deal making to slow in the near term. However, the record amount of dry powder in the market will continue to serve as the driving force for ongoing investment.“Returns for private equity will likely decline sharply in short term, but new deals could have potentially good returns,” the report said. “With public markets volatile and corporates holding onto cash, private equity is well positioned to be the buyer of any asset that comes up for sale.”Topics :
Ferry operator Stena Line inaugurated a new onshore power supply connection in the Port of Oslo on January 8.“The completion of yet another onshore power supply connection in the Port of Oslo is an important milestone in our efforts to reduce emissions and we are now closing in on our target of connecting 25 % of our terminals in 2020,” Erik Lewenhaupt, Head of Sustainability, Brand and Communication at Stena Line, said.With this development, the company’s vessel Stena Saga will now be able to connect to the electricity grid during calls into port, marking an important step in Stena Line’s sustainability work.With Stena Saga, 14 of Stena Lines 38 vessels can now connect to green electricity when in port.“Many of our vessels call at locations close to cities which makes it especially important to be able to shut down engines when docked,” Lewenhaupt added.Every year, nearly 1.3 million passengers travel with DFDS and Stena Line to Denmark, according to the port’s data.The power requirement of the ferries is about 2-3 MW. This is almost sixty times stronger than current fast charging devices for electric cars. With shore power, the ferries save about 1420 tons of fuel annually.The development is in line with the Port of Oslo’s efforts to become a zero-emission port.
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by James Jordan, Sumner Newscow â€” The Kansas wheat harvest is all but complete in Sumner County, as well as most of the state. Local agriculture officials say as of Friday it is about 95 percent complete in Sumner. Recent rains did not have much of an impact as most of the wheat in the county is already harvested.But despite the good harvest, wheat prices are low – ranging from $3.60 to $4.40 a bushel.Curt Guinn, of the Wellington Coop, said the operation has slowed a lot, and the elevator has surpassed 3 million bushels at that coop alone.Statewide officials expect 393 million bushes to be harvested, which is a 22 percent increase from 2015. The statewide average so far is 48 bushels per acre, and if that holds up, it will surpass a record set in 2003.The last two years were pretty lean, so this year is a welcome sight. Sumner County Extension Agent Randy Hein said he has heard of yields of 35 bushes an acre, up to as many as 70 in isolated areas. With the freeze, flooding and drought of a year ago, very few reached even thee 35 bushes an acre mark.What problems there were, were minor, Hein said.“From what I have seen and heard, it looks really good,” he said.The entire state is doing well this year, with timely rains and a good mix of hot and cooler temperatures at the right time. Even in the western part of the state, good yields have been reported, with 30-40 bushels per acre common.In the north central part of the state there are higher yields often, and many are reporting 70-80 bushels an acre.The long cool spring helped a lot with filling out the heads of rain.Test weights are around 62-63 in Wellington, which is good.Some are holding off, hoping for better prices, and are storing it at the co-ops, Guinn said.Sumner County has led the state in wheat production many years. It’s too early to tell this year, but it could easily become the No. 1 county again. In 2012, the last year official stats are available, it led the state during somewhat of a down year with 12 million bushels.Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter.
The campaign was launched earlier this week by Turkish-origin author and rights activist Ali Can, who dubbed it #MeTwo — a play on the #MeToo movement that highlights women’s experiences of sexual harassment, and a comment by Ozil about having “two hearts”.Ozil dropped a bombshell on Sunday when he announced in a stinging letter that he would no longer play for Germany after he faced racist abuse for posing for a picture alongside Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.“I have two hearts, one German and one Turkish,” wrote Ozil, who accused the German Football Federation (DFB) of failing to stand up for him after critics questioned his patriotism and singled him out for blame after Germany’s World Cup flop.The controversy has prompted heated debate in German media about racism and integration.“We need a #MeToo debate for people with a migrant background,” Can, who has lived in Germany since he was a toddler, said in a video posted online on Tuesday.“I am more than just one identity. I feel at home in Germany… at the same I can feel connected to another country,” he said. “The two sides blend together, one doesn’t exclude the other.”Mesut Ozil of Arsenal sits at the players bench during a match against Atletico Madrid at the International Champions Cup football match in Singapore on July 26, 2018 © AFP / Roslan RAHMANThe #MeTwo hashtag quickly went viral as thousands posted about their run-ins with prejudice and racism in Germany.“You’re well integrated for a Turk” and “Don’t you wear a headscarf?” were cited as “classic examples” of remarks endured by Twitter user Hatdische Indsche.Many also complained about discrimination from landlords in the search for a flat or house, because of their skin colour or foreign-sounding names.“When you can’t get an answer, but your German girlfriend gets instant replies to the same offer. After we got married and she changed her name, she stopped getting answers too,” wrote Twitter user Oguz Yilmaz.Malcolm Oscar Uzoma Odeh-Ohanwe, who tweets as MalcolmMusic, recounted being called “a monkey” at high school years ago when he was a dread-locked teenager.Foreign Minister Heiko Maas praised the campaign, saying it was “impressive and painful” to see how many stories were flooding in.“If you think racism in Germany is no longer a problem, I recommend reading through all the #MeTwo tweets,” he tweeted.“Let us raise our voice with them: against racism, anytime, anywhere.”0Shares0000(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mesut Ozil of Arsenal sits at the players bench during a match against Atletico Madrid at the International Champions Cup football match in Singapore on July 26, 2018. © AFP / Roslan RAHMANFRANKFURT, Germany, Jul 27 – Thousands of people in Germany with migrant backgrounds are sharing stories of everyday discrimination under the hashtag #MeTwo, inspired by football star Mesut Ozil’s resignation from Germany’s national team over racism.“When I’m the only-non white person in a crowded train and the police gets in, I’m the only one who is asked to show ID,” tweeted Der Spiegel reporter Hasnain Kazim, as the discussion trended on German Twitter Friday.