The Colombian government will express their discontent to the Organization of American States (OAS) regarding the recent ruling made by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) about its borders with Nicaragua in the Caribbean, announced Foreign Affairs Minister Ángela Holguín, on November 25. “We will send a letter to OAS Secretary General José Miguel Insulza, stating our discontent, the legal vacuum in the ruling, the omissions, and incongruence,” Holguín told El Tiempo newspaper of Bogotá. The minister made the announcement after saying that a similar letter had been sent to the UN Secretary General, since the ICJ relies on that multilateral organization. The ICJ resolved a dispute between Bogotá and Managua over the San Andrés archipelago, by determining that all isles, islets and keys belong to Colombia, while demarcating new maritime borders to extend Nicaragua’s sovereignty on the Caribbean Sea, in an unappealable decision. Holguín said that Colombia’s dissatisfaction with the ruling is because of the “maritime demarcation.” The serious legal error made by the Court was to cut the economic zone and the continental platform of the island of Providencia to the north and northeast, and of San Andrés to the south and southeast.” According to the Law of the Sea, these islands have the same rights as the littorals,” she claimed. “The other error was to divide the Archipelago of San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina,” she added. However, she insisted that Colombia “is respectful of international law” and that government officials have not said they “didn’t accept the ruling.” On November 24, through his Twitter account, President Juan Manuel Santos asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to “contact the government of Nicaragua directly to manage this problem with prudence and respect”. By Dialogo November 27, 2012
SpaceX confirmed the satellite deployed about 32 minutes after lift-off, on Monday afternoon local time.DAPA said the launch made South Korea the 10th country in the world to own a military-only communications satellite, which will provide “permanent and secured military communications”.The satellite is expected to reach its orbit of 36,000 kilometers in two weeks and South Korea’s military will take over the system in October after testing, it added.Seoul is looking to enhance its military capabilities as it pushes to end an arrangement under which, if war breaks out, American commanders will have authority over their combined forces. The satellite was “expected to improve the South Korean military’s independent operational capabilities”, an official at its defense ministry told Yonhap news agency.Seoul and Washington are security allies and the US stations 28,500 troops in the country.But their relationship has been strained in recent years, triggered by differences in their approaches to Pyongyang, and over cost-sharing responsibilities. Topics : South Korea’s first-ever military communications satellite has been successfully launched by private operator SpaceX, Seoul said Tuesday, as it looks to build up its defense capabilities.The ANASIS-II is intended to enhance the South’s ability to defend itself against the nuclear-armed North, which invaded in 1950.A Falcon 9 rocket carrying the satellite blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, Seoul’s Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) said in a statement.
The Dutch pensions industry has concluded that the ongoing debate over the discount rate for liabilities and funding ratios is a “dead end”, according to Gerard Riemen, director at the Dutch Pensions Federation.Speaking with local financial news daily Het Financieele Dagblad (FD), he pointed out that the discount rate was used to calculate, among other things, how much cash a pension fund would need today to pay a pension in 50 years’ time.“There is no objective truth for this, however, as nobody can look into the future,” said Riemen, who recently called on the industry to come up with an alternative to the predominantly defined benefit (DB) system in the Netherlands.At the time, he recommended switching to a collective defined contribution (CDC) system, with individual pensions accrual and as much risk-sharing “as possible”. Contributions should be calibrated to achieve a pension that is 70% of salary, he added.During the FD interview, Riemen highlighted that it was not the recent performance of equity markets that worried the sector but rather the long-term prospect of low interest rates.He said Dutch pension funds had, for all intents and purposes, abandoned their call for a higher discount rate.He argued that last summer’s reduction of the ultimate forward rate – as part of the discount rate – had destabilised the discount rate and hurt coverage ratios.In the opinion of the Pensions Federation, he said, all current pension claims should be converted into CDC arrangements ”as soon as possible”.“If we don’t do this, we will keep having the same problems for decades,” he said.“We don’t want to tell people in their 30s how much exactly their will receive in 40 years’ time because this is totally impossible.”Riemen also took pains to emphasise the urgency for quick decision-making. “If markets remain suppressed this year, and interest rates don’t rise either, we are facing rights cuts for large numbers of participants next year,” he said.“As things stand at the moment, many participants won’t receive any indexation for years, and we risk losing public support for the existing pensions system.”Riemen said he hoped the new government would make a decision on the shape of the new pensions system next year, and fully implement the system no later than 2019.
OneNewsNow 19 December 2015Family First NZ says Judge Anna Johns’ decision exposes flaws in New Zealand’s bail laws.“A situation like this simply re-victimises the child and is hugely traumatic for the family trying to recover from the offences committed previously,” national director of Family First Bob McCoskrie says.“This sends a message to the community that the rights of offenders are greater than the rights of victims.“For this horrific child abuse, the offender receives a punishment of celebrating Christmas at home, while the abuse will impact the child for the rest of their life.“As a community, we are trying to say that the abuse of our young and most vulnerable is completely unacceptable and that our responsibility as adults is even greater around these young children – yet the consequences given out by the courts are completely undermining that message.”Family First NZ will seek permission from the family to write to the Solicitor General and also the Minister of Justice requesting a review of the decision.https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/family-first-slams-paedophile-bail-decisionBail decision ‘idiotic’NZ Herald 19 December 2015A man found guilty of sexually abusing his neighbour’s granddaughter when she was 8 has been bailed to live at home – up a shared driveway and just 30m from where his victim lives – until sentencing in June.His sentencing has been delayed until after a second trial next year in which he will stand accused of offending against another child.The first victim, now 10, and her family see the man most days and say their Auckland home has become a prison and “an absolute hell” because of the judge’s decision.The man, in his 70s, has name suppression. That was granted because he lives next door to the victim, who has automatic and permanent name secrecy due to the sexual nature of the charges.VICTIM ADVOCATES: Judge’s decision wrong Family First NZ said Judge Johns’ decision was “idiotic”.“A situation like this simply re-victimises the child, is hugely traumatic for the family trying to recover from the offences committed previously, and sends a message to the community that the rights of offenders are greater than the rights of victims,” said spokesman Bob McCoskrie.“Bail is a privilege, not a right – and it should not be granted at the expense of the victims and their families.“For this horrific child abuse, the offender receives a punishment of celebrating Christmas at home, while the abuse will impact on the child for the rest of her life.”Family First NZ is seeking permission from the victim’s family to write to the Solicitor-General and the Minister of Justice requesting a review of Judge Johns’ decision.“The justice system in New Zealand is perpetuating the problem of child abuse by handing out ‘wet bus ticket’ decisions and sentences in response to cases of serious child abuse,” Mr McCoskrie said.“It appears that the justice system in New Zealand simply doesn’t value the welfare and protection of our vulnerable young children – based on this decision. Put simply, it is an idiotic decision.“As a community, we are trying to say that the abuse of our young and most vulnerable is completely unacceptable and that our responsibility as adults is even greater around these young children – yet the consequences given out by the courts are completely undermining that message.”Ruth Money, who helps victims through the court process, said Judge Johns’ decision was “an absolute disgrace”.“The facts of this case are overwhelming – she has absolutely made the wrong decision.“The decision shows she has not learned anything from the Christie Marceau case and bail amendment bill changes that happened as part of that.”Christie, 18, was killed by Akshay Chand in 2011. Months before he stabbed her to death at her home, while her mother desperately tried to call police, he had been charged with kidnapping her.Despite protests from the police, Christie and her family, Judge David McNaughton granted Chand bail to a house within view of the Marceaus’ home.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11563391Keep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
Published on September 7, 2017 at 11:32 pm Contact Tomer: [email protected] | @tomer_langer Facebook Twitter Google+ UPDATED: Sept. 10, 2017 at 10:33 p.m.After a lopsided victory in Week 1, Syracuse (1-0) gets its next challenge in the form of Middle Tennessee State (0-1) Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. MTSU defensive coordinator Scott Shafer will be making his first return to the Carrier Dome since being fired as head coach of the Orange in 2015.Here’s what to know about the Blue Raiders:All-time series: This is the first matchup between the two schools.The Middle Tennessee State report: MTSU owned one of the most effective offenses in the country a year ago, finishing eighth in total offense while racking 517.7 yards of offense per game.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThat total is mainly fueled by the passing attack, which also finished eighth in passing yards per game. Quarterback Brent Stockstill, son of head coach Rick Stockstill, is all the all-time leader in career touchdowns at MTSU, throwing for 62 in just 25 games.Stockstill’s most trusted target is Richie James, who has caught more than 100 balls in each of his first two seasons. He hauled in 10 receptions for 112 yards last week against Vanderbilt but the MTSU offense as a whole was stalled against the Commodores. Stockstill was sacked five times as the Blue Raiders managed to score just six points in the loss.On defense the Blue Raiders have Mike Minter Jr., a top corner who should defend Steve Ishmael for much of the game. Ishmael was a big part of SU’s offense Friday and negating him could be a deciding factor for MTSU.How Syracuse beats Middle Tennessee State: Get to the quarterback. Vanderbilt developed the blueprint a week ago and Syracuse would be wise to follow it. Now, head coach Dino Babers admitted that SU might not have as good of a personnel group as Vanderbilt does. But it’ll still be paramount to the Orange’s success.Defensive tackle Chris Slayton was a force against Central Connecticut State as he normally is and transfer defensive ends Brandon Berry and Alton Robinson impressed in SU’s first game. Somehow, whether it’s strictly from the front four or if SU brings out various blitz packages, someone will need to get to the Stockstill and rush him.Player to watch: Richie James, wide receiver, No. 3James caught 213 balls over the first two years of his career. If he continues his pace of catching 100 balls a year he’d break the all-time receptions record set by Zay Jones and would be the first receiver ever to catch 400 balls. He got off to a hot start last week against Vanderbilt and needs just 16 catches to become the MTSU all-time receptions leader. He’s also been used effectively as a running threat, racking up 339 rushing yards on 38 carries a year ago to go with his 1,625 receiving yards. SU will need to find a way to slow down James on Saturday. Comments