World soccer body FIFA is investigating English Premier League champions Chelsea for the third time in eight years over a potential breach of young player regulations.“We can confirm that an investigation is ongoing,” FIFA said in an emailed response on Wednesday to questions about media reports regarding the club signing foreign players under the age of 18.“We cannot provide any details concerning the matters under investigation.” FIFA rules prohibit the international transfer of players under the age of 18 unless their parents have emigrated for reasons not connected to football or both the player and club are based within 50 kilometres of a national border.The only other exception is for transfers within either the European Union or European Economic Area (EEA), where the minimum age is 16.In those cases, clubs must still ensure that the player continues his education and studies for an alternative career, as well as making sure he has a high living standard.A Chelsea spokesman told British media that the club complies with all FIFA statutes and regulations when recruiting players.The UKâ€™s Daily Mail newspaper said wednesday that the alleged breaches were less serious than those committed by Spanish sides Atletico and Real Madrid in recent years, who both incurred transfer bans.Chelsea has been investigated twice previously over their signing of minors.The West London club was banned from signing players for two transfer windows in 2009, a penalty they had overturned on appeal in 2010, over Gael Kakuta’s 2007 move from Lens to Stamford Bridge.They were also investigated over the transfer of Bertrand Traore, the Burkina Faso international who was signed after his 18th birthday but had appeared in an Under-18 match in 2011 while still 16.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
With wrestlers deemed “essential workers” in the state of Florida in May, they were given the go-ahead to continue their shows. Both companies have handled the virus in drastically different ways, though, and with Florida’s outlook worsening, there’s no clear way out.WWE has come under intense scrutiny for its handling of the coronavirus pandemic, with its personnel reportedly not being tested for COVID-19 and only being checked for temperatures. AEW has taken steps to protect its stars further, including multiple temperature checks daily and has begun testing its stars for the illness regularly. But the neophyte promotion has come under fire for its stars at ringside not social distancing and also not wearing masks during shows.Really, in an industry that’s reliant on literally touching one another, it’s somewhat surprising this hasn’t happened sooner. AEW’s already had to change its plans with Fyter Fest, which would typically be a PPV event but was switched to a two-night event over two weeks being headlined by Moxley defending the AEW Championship against Brian Cage. While no official word has come down yet, don’t expect that match to get underway unless Moxley is cleared of the virus.It wasn’t just Moxley, with AEW’s QT Marshall also asked to stay home due to fears of having contracted the coronavirus.It all points to a bigger problem with wrestling. With both AEW and WWE taping their programs in Florida, where COVID-19 cases are spiking dramatically, it was only a matter of time until the pandemic touched wrestling stars in some way. COVID-19 has reportedly made its way through the WWE ranks with broadcaster extraordinaire Renee Young testing positive for the virus.And there’s a twist that affects more than just WWE here: It was revealed that AEW champ Jon Moxley (real name Jonathan Good) missed Wednesday night’s “Dynamite” after coming in contact with someone who had tested positive with coronavirus. That someone turned out to be his wife, Young.