Twitter Facebook Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp WhatsApp Crews battle fire in South Bend Friday morning Twitter Pinterest Google+ (Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) An investigation is underway to determine what caused an early morning fire in South Bend Friday.Firefighters were called to the 2600 block of West Huron Street around 2:30 a.m., where they found a fire emitting from a home that had been converted into apartments.ABC 57 News reports flames and smoke were coming from the home, and the roof also collapsed while firefighters were attempting to put out the blaze.No one was injured. TAGSapartmentsfireIndianaSouth BendWest Huron Street Google+ IndianaLocalNews Previous articleFreeze Warning in effect for listening area early Friday morningNext articleSam Adams Elementary student tests positive for COVID-19 Brooklyne Beatty By Brooklyne Beatty – October 16, 2020 0 502
In the weeks that followed, Loeffler urged her constituents to have faith in the Trump administration’s efforts to prepare the nation.“@realDonaldTrump & his administration are doing a great job working to keep Americans healthy & safe,” Loeffler tweeted Feb. 27.The Daily Beast first reported that Loeffler dropped the stock in late January. The senator is married to Jeffrey Sprecher, the chairman and CEO of Intercontinental Exchange, which owns the New York Stock Exchange.In a tweet early Friday morning, Loeffler said the report was a “ridiculous & baseless attack” and that she doesn’t make investment decisions for her portfolio.“Investment decisions are made by multiple third-party advisors without my or my husband’s knowledge or involvement,” she tweeted.She wrote that she was informed of the decisions three weeks after they were made. COPING WITH THE OUTBREAK:– Europeans sing health workers’ praises nightly from windows– AP PHOTOS: Virus clears out Tel Aviv’s beaches, outdoor gyms– In pandemic, word definitions shift and new lexicon emerges WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr, R-N.C., is asking for an ethics probe in response to criticism that he sold off as much as $1.7 million in stocks just before the market dropped in February amid coronavirus fears.Senate records show that Burr and his wife sold between roughly $600,000 and $1.7 million in more than 30 separate transactions in late January and mid-February, just before the market began to fall and as government health officials began to issue stark warnings about the effects of the virus. Several of the stocks were in companies that own hotels.In a statement Friday morning, Burr said he had asked for the Senate Ethics Committee to investigate the matter, “understanding the assumption many could make in hindsight.”Burr said he relied “solely on public news reports,” specifically CNBC’s daily health and science reporting out of its Asia bureaus, to make the financial decisions.There is no indication that Burr had any inside information as he sold the stocks. The intelligence panel did not have any briefings on the pandemic the week when most of the stocks were sold, according to a person familiar with the matter. The person declined to be identified to discuss confidential committee activity.The stock sales were first reported by ProPublica and The Center for Responsive Politics. Most of them came on Feb. 13, just before Burr made a speech in Washington, D.C., in which he predicted severe consequences from the virus, including closed schools and cutbacks in company travel, according to audio obtained by National Public Radio and released Thursday.Burr told the small North Carolina State Society audience that the virus was “much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history” and “probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic.”Burr’s remarks were much more dire than remarks he had made publicly, and came as President Donald Trump was still downplaying the severity of the virus.In a tweet on Thursday, Burr said that Americans were already being warned about the effects of the virus when he made the speech to the North Carolina State Society.“The message I shared with my constituents is the one public health officials urged all of us to heed as coronavirus spread increased,” Burr wrote. “Be prepared.”The North Carolina senator was not the only lawmaker to sell off stocks just before the steep decline due to the global pandemic. Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler, a new senator who is up for re-election this year, sold off hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stock in late January, as senators began to get briefings on the virus, also according to Senate records.
…questioned by SOCU…released on $200,000 station bail eachOne day after being released on $6 million bail each, former Finance Minister, Dr Ashni Singh and former Chief Executive Officer of the National Industrial and Commercial Investment Limited (NICIL) Winston Brassington were called in for questioning by the Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU).On Wednesday, the two former Government officials, accompanied by their lawyers – Anil Nandlall, Mark Waldron and Sase Gunraj – arrived at SOCU’s headquarters in Georgetown at about 09:00h and left some four hours later with SOCU officials.Nandlall told the press, who waited patiently outside SOCU, that the two were questioned about 27 allegations of misconduct in public office, even on matters dating back to 1994.These transactions involve the following Guyana Stockfeeds; Marilyn Oudho; Clairan’s; Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry; Duke Lodge; Pritipaul Singh Investments; Hand-in-Hand; National Hardware; Twin’s Manufacturing; Old GPC; Anthony Pierres; Property Holdings Inc; I Ali; Hicks, Linden; Sanata at Industrial Site; Mohabir, Linden and SOL (Guyana).The lead attorney noted that no allegation of dishonesty was made, nor are there any allegations that the duo has stolen public funds, or profited from these transactions. These transactions, according to him, had received the approval of Cabinet, and were one on the recommendations of the NICIL Board. “I maintain that these charges are intended to harass, humiliate and persecute these persons,” he asserted.Nandlall told Guyana Times that he was advised that the charges were recommended by advice received from Dr Sam Sittlington, who is assisting SOCU.“If these cases are tainted in criminality, are they now going to charge all the persons who purchased? That would even be more ridiculous.”He said it amounts to unfairness and unequal treatment meted out to his clients.In addition to that, Nandlall is arguing that Government distributed over 100,000 house lots which were deliberately sold below market value“Are they going to charge the 100,000 persons who benefited from these housing programme?”Targeting political opponentsMeanwhile, Dr Singh told the media that the coalition Administration was using SOCU to target its political opponents. “I would say that what we are witnessing is State bullyism, political harassment of the very worst kind,” he said. Nevertheless, the former Minister said both himself and Brassington are cooperating with SOCU.He reiterated that the charges for which he and his former colleague were granted bail for, are not only baseless but irrational. Dr Singh again expressed confidence that the matter would be disposed of and promised to remain focused, explaining that he will not be intimidated by the matter before him.On the other hand, Brassington also told the media that while being questioned, SOCU officials went through tonnes of files totalling over 20. “They are taking every instance where the valuation is above the selling price and calling it misconduct in public office… cases even if we had a public tender,” he said.The former NICIL head noted that every single transaction received several layers of approval, first by the Privatisation Unit Board, the NICIL Board and then by Cabinet. “We have produced records showing what we did and there is nothing wrong in what we did. Everything we did we have a justification and an approval from Boards and Cabinet, so it is a travesty in justice,” he added.Singh and Brassington were taken to the Criminal Investigations Department of the Guyana Police Force. They were fingerprinted and later released on $200,000 station bail each.The two former Government officials were charged on Tuesday for allegedly selling several plots of State land on the East Coast of Demerara to National Hardware Guyana Ltd for over $598 million; Scady Business Corporation at a cost of $150 million, and to Multi-cinemas Guyana at a cost of $185 million.The two will return to SOCU on Monday for further questioning.