According to a report by Destructive Fishing Watch (DFW), an Indonesian NGO working to prevent destructive practices in fishing and other environmental issues, the two crew members decided to jump off the ship because they could not withstand their treatment on board.The NGO said they had been intimidated and physically harmed, either by the ship’s captain or by fellow crewmen.“The allegation of forced labor emerged after we found violations such as unpaid wages, poor working conditions, threats and intimidation, [all of] which Andri Juniansyah and Reynalfi had experienced,” said DFW Indonesia coordinator M. Abdi Suhufan.According to DFW data, at least 30 Indonesian crew members were victims of such violations aboard Chinese vessels from November 2019 to June of this year. Of that number, seven reportedly died, three remain missing and 20 survived.Topics : The Foreign Ministry and the National Police are investigating a report that two Indonesian crew members jumped off a Chinese vessel while it was underway in the Malacca Strait last week.The Foreign Ministry confirmed the existence of the NGO report on Wednesday, saying that the two crew members in question were from Pematang Siantar, North Sumatra, and Sumbawa, West Nusa Tenggara.“They decided to jump off the Chinese-flagged Lu Qing Yuan Yu 901 while they were underway in the Malacca Strait,” said the ministry’s director for citizen protection, Judha Nugraha, in a press briefing. The two crew members, identified as Reynalfi, 22, and Andri Juniansyah, 30, jumped off the boat on Friday. After about seven hours adrift, they were rescued on Saturday by a group of fishermen from Tanjung Balai Karimun regency in the Riau Islands as they were passing through the area, Antara news agency reported.“They are now in the Tebing Karimun police station and are in good condition. We are still investigating the case in coordination with the National Police,” Judha said in the briefing.Read also: Indonesian sailors’ deaths on Chinese fishing vessel raise questions about working conditionsThe two Indonesian citizens were allegedly victims of human trafficking.
Derek Fisher said his move to the WNBA is “not a step down” while he was introduced as the Los Angeles Sparks head coach Friday,”This opportunity is not a step down, sideways, backwards, somehow different than the men’s game,” Fisher told reporters (via the Associated Press). “There isn’t a future outside of what we’re here to talk about today.” Fisher previously coached the Knicks, but was fired in 2016 midway through his second season after the team posted a 23-31 record. He is replacing Brian Agler, who resigned last week after four seasons with the Sparks. “Our coach’s search was short but sweet,” executive vice president and general manager Penny Toler said. “The first person who came to mind was Derek Fisher. Derek has been a huge supporter of the Sparks, but even more importantly, he’s been a huge supporter of the WNBA from Day 1. He would leave his practice and fly and watch us play.” Toler explained Fisher asked “about 2,000 questions” before accepting the job. Fisher indicated it was necessary after his time with the Knicks, the AP notes.”What I learned is, if there is not clarity in purpose, vision and mission from ownership to management to coaches to players to staff, it doesn’t work,” Fisher said. “Some of the basketball things are irrelevant if ownership, management, staff, players, if we are not aligned in the way we see going about our jobs and achieving our purpose and our mission.”The Sparks are coming off a 19-15 season with Agler at the helm. They lost in the second round of the playoffs to the Washington Mystics. Related News NBA wrap: Joel Embiid-less 76ers come from behind to extend Pistons’ skid