Share Soldiers help extinguish a fire at a building adjacent to the interior ministry set by former police officers in downtown Cairo 15 Views no discussions From Ivan Watson and Amir Ahmed, CNN Share Sharing is caring! The incident comes as Egyptians continue to work to create the new leadership structure of the country after the revolution.State-run media reported Wednesday that there have been about 1,300 official complaints against former Egyptian ministers and government officials.Interior Minister Mahmoud Wagdi said he ordered that all the complaints, many of them about government waste and corruption, be investigated, state-run EgyNews website reported.The investigation into the complaints comes after authorities in Egypt froze the assets of former President Hosni Mubarak and his family, state-run media has reported.Attorney General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud requested the action, according to EgyNews website.Along with Mubarak’s assets, those belonging to his wife, Suzanne, were also frozen, along with the assets of the former president’s eldest son, Alaa, and younger son, Gamal, and both of the sons’ wives, according to the report.After 30 years, Mubarak stepped down as Egypt’s president February 11 following 18 days of unrest.Witnesses said the fire was started by protesters upset about labor issues and the blaze could have been ignited by Molotov cocktails.Part of a building, and surrounding buildings such as the criminal records building, had been torched as well as several cars.Soldiers and police rushed to scene and a couple of men could be seen being detained.The compound is three blocks away from Tahrir Square and violent clashes occurred in the area during the Egyptian revolution. Tweet Share The incident comes as Egyptians continue to work to create the new leadership structure of the country after the revolution.State-run media reported Wednesday that there have been about 1,300 official complaints against former Egyptian ministers and government officials.Interior Minister Mahmoud Wagdi said he ordered that all the complaints, many of them about government waste and corruption, be investigated, state-run EgyNews website reported.The investigation into the complaints comes after authorities in Egypt froze the assets of former President Hosni Mubarak and his family, state-run media has reported.Attorney General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud requested the action, according to EgyNews website.Along with Mubarak’s assets, those belonging to his wife, Suzanne, were also frozen, along with the assets of the former president’s eldest son, Alaa, and younger son, Gamal, and both of the sons’ wives, according to the report.After 30 years, Mubarak stepped down as Egypt’s president February 11 following 18 days of unrest.CNN’s Amir Ahmed contributed to this report. News Part of Interior Ministry compound torched in Cairo by: – February 23, 2011
Kyle Strickler starts his bid to complete the Super Nationals triple crown from inside row one.Already a Super Nationals champion and winner of the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational, Strickler drew the ace to earn the pole start in Saturday’s Harris Auto Racing Race of Champions. Mike Jergens is on the outside of the front row and two-time race winner Dustin Smith lines up third.Starting fourth through 12th will be Josh Ruby, Todd Shute, Ryan McDaniel, Bob Moore, Vern Jackson, Mike VanGenderen, Joel Rust, Johnny Scott and Anthony Roth.*The ace put the Westin Abbey on the inside of the front row for the start of the Sunoco Race Fuels Stock Car Race of Champions Two-time RoC winner David Smith will line up on the outside.Completing the 10-car grid are Randy Brands, Shaun Bruns, Bryan Rigsby, Matt Schauer, 2014 race winner Devin Smith, defending winner Dustin Larson, Brandon Czarapata and Kyle Clough.*Todd Shute rock-paper-scissored his way to the outside row one start in tonight’s Modified main event, getting the Rochambeau best of fellow Friday qualifying feature winner Ricky Thornton Jr.The third through eighth spots on the row will be filled by Richie Gustin, J.D. Auringer, Ricky Alvarado, Jay Noteboom, Randy Havlik and Jeremy Mills.*John Oliver Jr. brought in a Rochambeau ringer and as a result will start on the front of the outside row in the championship event for Stock Cars.Devin Smith will look to rebound from his afternoon loss in the Fan Zone from second row outside. Reid Keller, Abe Huls, Shaun Bruns, Jason See, Brian Blessington and Norman Chesmore fill the rest of the front eight positions.
Jose Mourinho accused his Chelsea players of complacency after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Slovenian minnows Maribor in Champions League Group G.The Blues went behind to Agim Ibraimi’s goal but Nemanja Matic equalised before Eden Hazard missed a penalty.”Many times surprises happen when people are not fully focused, when they believe the game can’t be a difficult one,” said Mourinho.”Only when Maribor scored did the players realise the danger.”Match factsChelsea have not lost a competitive match since the semi-final of last season’s Champions League in AprilThe Blues have won just one of their last six away games in the Champions League Chelsea conceded for the first time in 230 minutes away from home in the competitionThe result leaves Chelsea three points clear in Group G, needing to win one of their remaining two matches to guarantee qualification to the knockout phase.Chelsea had thrashed Slovenian champions Maribor 6-0 at Stamford Bridge in their previous Champions League game.And despite having talked up his opponents in the pre-match news conference, Mourinho admitted he must take some of the blame for his players’ attitude in a lacklustre first half.”If I cannot convince the players that the game is difficult and you have to play from minute one, obviously it’s my responsibility,” he said. Mourinho also expressed his frustration with Italian referee Daniele Orsato and his fellow officials.The Blues were denied a penalty early in the second half when Oscar appeared to be tripped and his fellow substitute Diego Costa had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside.Mourinho hinted that he had history with Orsato from his time at Inter Milan, adding: “We scored two goals, two very good goals. The second goal, the referee decided to disallow but it’s a clear goal.”Normally we should win because we scored two goals. But we have to accept it.”The referee’s team did not have a good night.”
George ‘Red Tiger’ Ashie has immediately set his sight on settling scores with his old foe Emmanuel Tagoe after his TKO win over Allan Kamote on Saturday. Ashie who annexed the vacant WBO Africa lightweight wants a mandatory defense against Emmanuel Tagoe who defeated him two years ago.”I want Emmanuel Tagoe. I wanted a title and now I have it so what’s I want to do next is to defend the title with Emmanuel Tagoe.”The new champion also told the fans that he was ready to fight Tagoe on December 26 when the latter is expected to stage his next fight. But during the bout Ashie was the aggressor in the bout and severally penetrated Kamote’s weak guard throughout the fight which lasted only six rounds The Tanzanian’s weaknesses were exposed even further in the fourth round after he was knocked down but he surprisingly beat the mandatory count to survive. Meanwhile, Ashie’s confidence had peaked, which was dominated with two punch combinations topped with intermittent left jabs.The Ghanaian also did some good swerving to prevent Kamote from landing unexpected head and body shots.An obvious end came for Kamote in the latter part of the sixth round, when after a few of Ashie’s stinging jabs had dazed him. In some mid ring action where Ashie the aggressor was continuing his punishment of his Tanzanian opponent the former delivered a strong right hook which landed on Kamote’s head to send him down finally. This time he failed to beat the mandatory count and sat on the canvas helplessly as Referee Roger Barnor counted him out. And immediately Ashie ‘s corner burst into celebration and gave the boxer a kingly ride around the ring. In other bouts on the night, Maxwell Amponsah surprisingly lasted less than one minute in the light heavyweight contest after meeting a stinging straight head shot from Ebenezer Tetteh. George Krampah defeated journeyman Thompson Arap Moi, four rounds into their featherweight contest. Olympian Prince Octopus Dzanie annexed the West African and Ghanaian bantamweight titles after totally outclassing Michael Barnor with the first round knockout. Ayi Ayittey became the national middleweight champion after stopping Eric Kwadey in the fifth round while Emmanuel Quartey defeated Emmanuel Laryea in the second round of a bantamweight contest. The event was put together by Accra-based McDon promotions.
Some donned sporty hats over their headscarves, while others painted their faces with the colours of the flag.Their beaming smiles underscored a day that felt victorious for Iranian women, even before the match began.And with every goal the Iranian team scored, the cheers in the women’s section grew louder.By the middle of the second half, Iran was leading with a blowout of 9-0.For nearly 40 years, the Islamic republic has barred female spectators from entering football and other sports stadiums, with clerics arguing women must be shielded from the masculine atmosphere and sight of semi-clad men.Last month, world football’s governing body FIFA ordered Iran to allow women access to stadiums without restriction and in numbers determined by demand for tickets.– ‘Women of freedom’ –That came after the death of Sahar Khodayari, who set herself ablaze last month outside a court in fear of being jailed for trying to attend a match.Dubbed “Blue Girl” because of the colours of the club she supported — Esteghlal FC — she had reportedly been detained last year when trying to enter a stadium dressed as a boy.Her death sparked an outcry, with many calling for Iran to be banned and matches boycotted.Around 4,500 women managed to get their hands on tickets for Thursday’s match, which was thinly attended overall, with only some 10,000 spectators in total.Even before the starting whistle blew, female fans cheered joyfully as the name of each Iranian player was announced over the loudspeakers, an AFP journalist at the stadium said.But many women who were unable to get tickets in time for the game were left disappointed.“I’m 18 years old, and for 14 years I’ve dreamt of going to a stadium,” student Guelareh told AFP. “But I didn’t get a ticket.”While it is not the first time women have attended football matches in Iran, it is the first time they have been allowed to buy tickets.On previous occasions, attendees have been handpicked by the authorities.Saluting the move, pro-reform newspaper Sazandegui published a photograph of two female football supporters, coupled with the headline: “The women of freedom.”For some men too, Thursday’s game was worthy of celebration.“It’s a great feeling that we’re here together, finally. We only wish this can continue in the future,” a male fan told AFP.A FIFA delegation attended Thursday’s match to ensure Iran honoured its pledge to allow women in.0Shares0000(Visited 13 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Iranian women freely attend a football match in their ultra-conservative country for the first time in around four decades © AFP / ATTA KENARETEHRAN, Iran, Oct 10 – Waving flags and snapping selfies, thousands of Iranian women on Thursday attended a football match freely for the first time in decades, after FIFA threatened to suspend the country over its controversial stadium restrictions.Elated female fans wore the national green, white and red flag around their shoulders and over their hair as they streamed into a tiny section of Tehran’s 100,000-capacity Azadi Stadium for Iran’s 2022 World Cup qualifier against Cambodia.