Story Highlights The Consumer Affairs Commission (CAC) is currently developing mobile apps, which, along with the staging of quarterly media briefings, will help to heighten public awareness about the agency’s work and services. These will also inform consumers on developments in the commercial trade as well as how best they can safeguard their interests when making purchases. Details were outlined by Chairman, Kent Gammon, and Chief Executive Officer, Dolsie Allen, during the CAC’s press briefing at the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, in New Kingston, on July 5. The Consumer Affairs Commission (CAC) is currently developing mobile apps, which, along with the staging of quarterly media briefings, will help to heighten public awareness of the agency’s work and services.These will also inform consumers on developments in the commercial trade as well as how best they can safeguard their interests when making purchases.Details were outlined by Chairman, Kent Gammon, and Chief Executive Officer, Dolsie Allen, during the CAC’s press briefing at the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, in New Kingston, on July 5.Mr. Gammon said the CAC is in the process of finalising an app that will provide consumers with alerts on various developments, adding that further details are expected shortly.For her part, Mrs. Allen said the briefings are being held “to engage the media in a very special way to advise and update (the public) on some of the work that we have been doing”.Mrs. Allen noted that the CAC utilises a three-pronged approach in fulfilling its mandate of safeguarding consumers’ interest.These, she outlined, are consumer education; complaints resolution, specifically between the providers of goods and services and clients; and market surveillance/research.She emphasised that the CAC is doing a great deal of work to heighten its effectiveness as a consumer-protection agency, in its quest to remain “relevant and impactful”.Mr. Gammon also underscored the importance of the press briefings in disseminating information, adding that this would be complemented by the agency’s website, which would also highlight details of the CAC’s activities.In this regard, he encouraged persons to visit at: www.cac.gov.jm and make their queries on matters of concern, or for which they need clarification or additional information.
GRAND MANAN, N.B. – The Campobello Whale Rescue Team says an entangled North Atlantic right whale spotted last week in the Bay of Fundy appears to have been freed.Jerry Conway with the rescue team says the whale was spotted late Sunday afternoon and a crew went out and cut off a buoy and line that had been hampering the animal.Conway says it’s not known if they got all of the fishing line off the whale because it didn’t lift its head, but it seemed to be swimming more easily.The whale, identified as an adult male, was seen Monday morning about 22 nautical miles east of Grand Manan, N.B., with an orange buoy trailing behind it.The weeklong search for the whale was halted briefly on Tuesday due to heavy fog, but searchers resumed the hunt the next day.There were 18 recorded North Atlantic right whale deaths in Canadian and U.S. waters last year — most of them in the Gulf of St. Lawrence — mainly due to collisions with ships or entanglements in fishing gear.Freeing a whale from fishing lines can be very dangerous, Conway said.The death of Joe Howlett, a lobster fisherman and a member of the Campobello Whale Rescue Team, highlighted the dangerous nature of whale disentanglements.Howlett was killed a year ago in waters off eastern New Brunswick when he was struck by a whale just after freeing it from fishing gear. His death prompted a temporary ban on volunteer whale rescue efforts that was lifted in March.Conway said the six remaining members of the whale rescue team are all trained commercial fishermen with plenty of experience out on the water.Despite the dangers, Conway said disentangling the creatures is an important step in protecting the endangered right whale population.The whale rescue team team recently freed a humpback calf from a mess of fishing line in the Bay of Fundy just off of Brier Island, N.S. — their first disentanglement operation since Howlett’s death.There are believed to be fewer than 450 right whales remaining and, of those, only about 100 breeding females.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Jamaica, October 19, 2016 – Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, has urged Wisynco Group Ltd., the sole manufacturer of styrofoam in Jamaica, to consider the development of environmentally friendly alternatives to the product.Following a tour of Wisynco’s White Marl complex in St. Catherine today (October 19), Mr. Holness issued a challenge for the company to identify products within the Jamaican environment that could be creatively used to replace Styrofoam. He suggested the hemp plant could be utilized in creating a substitute for the product. “I am challenging you, the captains of industry to see what… can be used to propel innovation, to bring new products to market that create new streams of manufacturing, that employ new people (leading) to more sales, which drive growth,” he said.The Prime Minister’s tour of the facility follows the Senate’s recent approval of a private member’s motion proposing a ban on Styrofoam and plastic bags. The motion, brought by Government Senator, Matthew Samuda, noted that Styrofoam and plastics take an inordinately long period of time to break down in the environment, and create a major problem at landfills. He suggested the use of containers made from cardboard or other biodegradable materials.Mr. Holness, in stating that the Government is pushing for inclusive and sustainable growth, highlighted the problems brought on by inappropriate disposal of plastics and Styrofoam. He noted that while banning the products may not be the solution, the issue must be debated in keeping with the country’s democratic processes, adding that the discussion will serve to stimulate public discourse on the topic.The Prime Minister, in the meanwhile, commended the company on initiatives it has already taken to reduce the impact of its products on the environment, as well as the move to add a biodegradable component to its foam items, which will allow them to break down in about five years. “It is good for us to know that you have already started to use technology to ensure that your products are not harmful in the long term to the environment, and I think that should be included in the conversation about the potential ban on Styrofoam,” he said.Mr. Holness said the Government, in the short term, will have to look at ways to improve waste management. He reiterated the intention to pursue a waste-to-energy solution, which he believes will create an economic motive for persons to more adequately manage waste products.Chairman of Wisynco Group Ltd., William Mahfood, in highlighting the steps taken to reduce the company’s carbon footprint, noted that balancing human capital, the environment and business sustainability is important to the entity. He said it is crucial that a holistic look be taken of the impact that instituting the proposed ban on Styrofoam would have on consumers and the approximately 2,000 employees of the company. Wisynco Group has been producing Styrofoam for more than 35 years.