APTN NewsThe government has signed off on a bill to remove sex-discrimination from the Indian Act.Lillian Dyck, a First Nation senator from Saskatchewan, confirmed on her Facebook page the vote on the bill known as S-3 took place Monday.“I am relieved and happy,” Dyck posted.“It’s not perfect but we in the Senate from all caucuses will ensure that the clause implementing the removal of the 1951 cut-off gets enacted!”Dyck is a member of the Senate’s Committee on Aboriginal Peoples, which refused to move the bill forward without an amendment to who gets status.It introduced an amendment to eliminate the discrimination she says has been hard on Aboriginal women since the Act was introduced in 1876, by preventing them from passing their status onto their children like men do.The government agreed to the amendment but introduced a cut-off date of 1951. That stalled the passage again until this week.Dyck promised to keep an eye on it.“The Senate will not allow the equality to be delayed indefinitely,” she said on Facebook.“The government has to report back to us and to the House of Commons at five months and 12 months after consultations on implementing the inclusion of the pre-1951 group.”The bill is now awaiting Royal Assent before it becomes law.
ATLANTA – A California man who operated what prosecutors say was one of the most successful illegal music sharing websites on the internet has been sentenced to five years in federal prison.The U.S. attorney’s office in Atlanta said in a news release Thursday that 30-year-old Artur Sargsyan of Glendale, California, owned and operated Sharebeast.com and other websites. Prosecutors say his file-sharing infrastructure allowed the illegal download of about a billion copyrighted musical works from at least 2012 through 2015.Sargsyan pleaded guilty in September to criminal copyright infringement for private financial gain. In addition to the prison term, the judge ordered him to pay $458,200 in restitution and to forfeit nearly $185,000.Prosecutors say Sargsyan ignored repeated notifications that he was illegally hosting and sharing copyrighted works.
“If there is no active injection operation nearby then certainly we will consider this to be a natural tectonic earthquake,” Kao said. ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE, A.B. – A second earthquake in less than a week shook central Alberta on Sunday, although a seismologist notes it occurred in a different geologic region than a quake last week that’s been linked to fracking.Honn Kao with the Geological Survey of Canada says the 4.4 magnitude quake was detected at around 4 a.m., with an epicentre about 32 kilometres northwest of Rocky Mountain House.Kao says no damage has been reported, although he says many people who live in the area have reported feeling it, one as far away as Edmonton. A 4.6 magnitude earthquake last Monday that was felt in the communities of Red Deer and Sylvan Lake has prompted the Alberta Energy Regulator to order a company to suspend fracking operations at a well site.Kao notes that while the two quakes were geographically close, Sunday’s quake happened in the Rocky Mountains geological system, whereas last week’s event occurred in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin.Cara Tobin, a spokeswoman for the AER, says there doesn’t appear to have been any industrial activity in the area of the most recent earthquake, but staff will be checking the data to make sure.“As inactive as Alberta is tectonically, this area is comparatively active, and so we do see more seismic activity in that area than we do in other areas,” Tobin said of the region where Sunday’s earthquake occurred.In August 2014, a 4.3 magnitude earthquake occurred in the same region. It didn’t do any damage but power was disrupted to about 500 customers, including a gas plant near Rocky Mountain House.Following last week’s quake, the AER said Vesta Energy Ltd. must suspend hydraulic fracturing operations at its well site, and must submit a report of all seismic activity in the area since April, as well as specific fracturing data for the well site from Jan. 29 to March 4. The regulator has also ordered Vesta to file a plan to eliminate or reduce future seismic activity from fracturing.Hydraulic fracturing involves pumping chemicals and sand underground to break up rocks to help get oil and natural gas flowing.Kao said some of the people who felt Sunday’s quake reported they were woken up by the shaking.He said more analysis will be needed to say definitively that the two quakes weren’t linked, but at the moment there doesn’t appear to be any evidence of it.
Mumbai: State Bank of India has put on sale six non-performing accounts worth Rs 2,337.88 crore, which will be auctioned on March 26. The bank is looking to sell all the accounts on a 100 percent cash basis to banks, ARCs, NBFCs and other financial institutions, according to the auction notice on the lender’s website on Tuesday. The accounts are Indian Steel Corporation (outstanding debt Rs 928.88 crore), Jai Balaji Industries (Rs 859.33 crore), Kohinoor Planet Construction (Rs 207.77 crore), Mittal Corp (Rs 116.34 crore), MCL Global Steel (Rs 100.18 crore), Shree Vaishnav Ispat (Rs 82.52 crore) and Gati Infrastructure (Rs 42.86 crore). Also Read – Maruti cuts production for 8th straight month in SepThe lender said except Mittal Corp and Shree Vaishnav, the auctions are under the Swiss Challenge method and will be conducted on March 26. Last week, the bank had put on block six other NPA accounts worth Rs 1,307.27 crore— Parental Drugs (Rs 429.72 crore), Kamachi Industries (Rs 365.68 crore), Jain Infraprojects (Rs 361.55 crore), MPK Ispat, MPK Steel and MPK Metals (Rs 53.86 crore), Balmukund Polyplast (Rs 50.12 crore) and Martina Biogenics (Rs 46.34 crore). The auction these accounts will be conducted on March 22.
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday quashed land acquisition process for the Rs 10,000 crore Salem-Chennai eight-lane green corridor project, holding it required a mega realignment as the proposed route would have an adverse effect on environment.A special bench of Justice T S Sivagnanam and Justice Bhavani Subbarayan passed the order allowing a batch of petitions by 35 land owners and PMK leader Anbumani Ramadoss. The bench observed the project would have an adverse effect on the environment, water bodies and it needed a mega realignment. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The court had on December 14, 2018, reserved orders on the batch of petitions, challenging land acquisition proceedings. The ambitious 277.3 km long eight-lane greenfield project connecting Salem and Chennai under the Centre’s ‘Bharatmala Pariyojana’ scheme aims to cut travel time between the two cities by half to about two hours and 15 minutes. However, it has has been facing opposition from a section of locals, including farmers, over fears of losing their land, besides environmentalists who are against felling of trees for it.
NEW DELHI: Already divided over whether to forge an alliance with the AAP, the Delhi Congress faces fresh trouble with its senior Muslim leaders resenting that they may be denied party tickets in the Lok Sabha polls.In a letter to Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Saturday, a group of five ex-MLAs –three of them having been elected five times to Delhi assembly –has sought fielding of a Muslim leader either from Chandni Chowk or North East Delhi Lok Sabha seats. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe resentment by the Muslim leaders of the party’s Delhi unit has come to the fore days before finalisation of the list of candidates on seven parliamentary seats in the capital. The letter signed by Mateen Ahmad, Shoiab Iqbal, Hasan Ahmed and Asif Mohammad Khan also mentions the name of Delhi Congress working president Haroon Yusuf, a five-time MLA, for consideration of the party ticket from Delhi. Besides Haroon Yusuf, Mateen Ahmad and Shoiab Iqbal too were elected five times, while Hasan Ahmed and Asif Mohammad Khan were elected twice to the Delhi legislative assembly. “Keeping in view the number of Muslim votes, the contribution and track record of winning elections by the five Muslim leaders, one ticket must be given to anyone of them either from Chandni Chowk or North East Delhi parliamentary seat,” the leaders said in the letter. All the five leaders are “very popular” among the Muslims and other communities and “very active”, said the letter addressed to Gandhi.
Coach Urban Meyer stands in front of the team before the Buckeyes take the field against Rutgers on Oct. 1. The Buckeyes won 58-0. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo EditorThe enterprise that is college football continues to grow with social media branding, television deals and other sources of revenue. All factors emphasize the importance of signing one of the best play callers in the country, but that comes at a price.On Wednesday, USA Today released a compiled database of the 2016 salaries of all NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision coaches. At the top were arguably the three best coaches in the NCAA: Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, Alabama coach Nick Saban and Ohio State coach Urban Meyer.Meyer is ranked third out of 128 coaches with a 2016 total salary of $6,094,800.Meyer trails only Harbaugh and Saban, respectively, for the largest income of Division I coaches. Harbaugh tops the charts at $9,004,000, more than $2 million higher than Saban’s $6,939,395. USA Today lists Harbaugh’s maximum bonus at $1,325,000, while Meyer’s maximum bonus is $775,000.Not all of Meyer’s payment is coming from OSU. The school pays Meyer a maximum of $6,003,000, with all bonuses factored in, and Meyer received $91,800 for “other pay.” OSU said the $91,800 was meant to cover travel costs associated with outside engagements, and any leftover money was directed to the Shelley and Urban Meyer Family Foundation.The most recent outside-income form available to USA Today was due to be filed by Sept. 10, 2015, and lists Meyer as having generated a total of $801,450 in “cash and/or goods and services for charities.” That number includes $696,450 he raised for his family’s charity.Meyer had $250,000 of his possible bonuses paid in the 2015-16 season.
The Portuguese superstar will earn 31 million Euro per season while playing in Italy; Gonzalo Higuain is second place with just 9 million Euro per yearAccording to Sport Mediaset, international superstar Cristiano Ronaldo will earn more than the Top 4 players of the Italian Serie A put together.As reported by the Sport Bible, Ronaldo will cost Juventus 31 million Euro per year up to 2022; in second place of the salary-table is Argentinean striker Gonzalo Higuain who will earn 9 million Euros with AC Milan.In third and fourth place, Ronaldo’s teammates, Brazilian midfielder Paulo Dybala and Douglas Costa, will earn 7 million and 6 million, respectively.The Top 5 is closed by Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma, who will make 6 million per season with the Rossoneri.Fiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.Cristiano Ronaldo is yet to appear with the Juventus shirt, but the club has already sold out on the number 7’s jerseys and toilet paper with his image is being sold in Italy.The Portuguese forward might debut with Juventus on Saturday, August 18th, when his team visits Chievo for the start of the 2018-2019 season of the Serie A.The players with the highest salary in the Italian league. (@Sport_Mediaset) pic.twitter.com/2uWZ1FAEIP— Khaled Al Nouss #LeoIsBack (@khaledalnouss1) August 3, 2018
Scotland national team head coach Alex McLeish has revealed he plans to rest defender Kieran Tierney when the team faces European champions, Portugal on Sunday.Tierney is one of five players to have left the Scottish team since the 2-1 UEFA Nations League defeat to Israel on Thursday night, a game settled when the 21-year-old’s poor clearance beat Allan McGregor, who was in goal for Scotland to give the Israelis all three points.The Celtic left-back was playing his 22nd game of the season across all competitions for both club and country in Haifa, leaving him on course to match the 60-game shift he put in last term.With the game against Portugal of little or no competitive significance, McLeish has opted to grant Tierney some rest with the injured Charlie Mulgrew, John Souttar, Robert Snodgrass and Scott McTominay also dropping out.“We have players who’ve played a lot of games already this season,” said McLeish, according to Daily Mail. Arsenal suffer huge blow as Lacazette is ruled out until October Andrew Smyth – September 13, 2019 Arsenal announced that striker Alexandre Lacazette has suffered an ankle injury and will be sidelined until October.“We were prepared to make a concession to Celtic in the summer over Kieran because he is a young guy growing up and has played an enormous amount of games.”“I remember back to my Aberdeen days with boys like Neale Cooper and Neil Simpson. They played a lot of games at an extremely young age, and they finished their careers relatively early.”“We don’t want that to happen to the current crop of players. That’s why Tierney is away back again. The medical team said he had a bit of fatigue, so it was right and proper that he went back to his club.”Tierney’s absence might allow McLeish to experiment with a flat back four, thus resolving one of the main criticisms of the performance in Israel, namely that the 3-5-2 formation chosen to accommodate both the Celtic man and Liverpool defender Andy Robertson does not help the team’s wide men.
Luis Suarez believes Barcelona were top class in their 5-1 drubbing of rivals Real Madrid without Lionel Messi in Sunday’s Clasico.The Catalans were in fine fettle at Camp Nou and Suarez helped himself with a hat-trick alongside goals from Coutinho and Vidal to further complicate issues for Julen Lopetegui.Injured Lionel Messi was in the stands and would surely be impressed by the performance of his teammates.“[Messi] is the best in the world, always a plus,” Suarez told FourFourTwo. “But what we’ve done is shown the level of football this team is capable of. We’re behind the manager and we love the club.”Give me 🖐 pic.twitter.com/wClG6dWjTi— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) October 28, 2018Mourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.Madrid had threatened a fightback when Marcelo scored early in the second half, but Suarez delighted in taking advantage of the space as the visitors flooded forward.“They came out obviously wanting to turn the game around,” he said. “They made it 2-1, they had a couple of chances.“We thought, in general, the team played very well and were able to respond. Madrid were leaving a lot of spaces and we knew we could take advantage of that.”But Suarez is not writing off ninth-placed Madrid, adding: “Every player and every team can suffer a poor game and a poor performance.“You just have to keep trying and pulling together as a team. These are situations you can understand. They can happen to everyone.”