‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport LATEST STORIES MOST READ Back on track Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew TORONTO, ONTARIO – JUNE 02: Kawhi Leonard #2 of the Toronto Raptors is defended by Klay Thompson #11 of the Golden State Warriors in the first half during Game Two of the 2019 NBA Finals at Scotiabank Arena on June 02, 2019 in Toronto, Canada. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Gregory Shamus/Getty Images/AFPKawhi Leonard has 16 points, Fred VanVleet has come off the bench to score 12 and the Toronto Raptors lead the Golden State Warriors 59-54 at halftime of Game 2 of the NBA Finals.The Raptors led by as many as 12 before the Warriors made a dent in the deficit late in the half.ADVERTISEMENT Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals? PLAY LIST 01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Klay Thompson has 18 points and Stephen Curry made his last four shots —after an 0 for 6 start— to get to 16 by halftime for Golden State.The Warriors started 9 for 33 from the floor — 27 percent. They then made their last seven shots of the half.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess View comments
SOUTH NYACK, NY— The former women’s softball coach at a suburban New York Christian college charged with sexually harassing his players won’t have to register as a sex offender after pleading guilty to seven misdemeanor counts of forcible touching, his attorney said Saturday.But former Nyack College coach Kurt Ludwigsen still faces a civil lawsuit from three members of his team who say he at one point also invited them to get life coaching from an adult film star.Ludwigsen will serve three years of probation and complete community service following his guilty plea earlier this month, attorney David Goldstein said.“He’s ready to put it all behind him and get this over with,” Goldstein said.Ludwigsen, 44, a married father of two, had been accused by more than a dozen players of kissing, touching and sexually harassing them, prompting authorities to charge him last April with nearly 200 counts. He was fired in March.In an ongoing civil lawsuit in Manhattan federal court, three members of the softball team sued the school for unspecified damages, claiming it failed to protect them against Ludwigsen.Ludwigsen touched them inappropriately by licking their ears, telling them to sit on his lap, lying on top of them, kissing their faces and punching one of them in the breasts for perceived batting errors, according to the lawsuit.Todd Krouner, a lawyer for the players, said they are “delighted” Ludwigsen admitted his guilt.“No one else should ever be subjected to the assault and harassment these athletes were subjected to,” Krouner told the Daily News, which first reported the plea deal.TweetPinShare0 Shares
Solskjaer: Man Utd not about STUPID square and backpassesby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says it’s important the team plays in the club’s best traditions.Until now he has been careful not to criticise the work of his predecessor, but he looks to have let his guard down for the first time in an interview with Malaysian TV station Astro Supersport.Solskjaer said: “Man Utd is built around, attacking football and going forwards, not stupid square and backpasses.”The comment about square passes is thought to have been a direct reference to the style of play he discovered in his squad when he arrived just before Christmas. Solskjaer joined Teddy Sheringham on Astro Supersport after the 1-0 win over Tottenham, and was asked by his former team-mate what he needed to change.The United boss said: “The first thing you talk about is that you do need to smile when you are a Manchester United player, you do enjoy it because when it’s over, you miss it.“It’s about at attacking, it’s about pace, power, attack quickly.”I know we didn’t have the best of pace but we still attacked.“That’s what Man Utd is built around, attacking football and going forwards, not stupid square and backpasses.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man City veteran Fernandinho: I’ve been training as centre-back all seasonby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFernandinho has revealed he has been training as a centre-back all season. With John Stones and Aymeric Laporte injured, Pep Guardiola was forced to field the defensive midfielder alongside Nicolas Otamendi against Shakhtar Donestk on Wednesday.City cruised to a 3-0 victory and Fernandinho was happy he could contribute to the win.”It was a quiet night at the back but the team have made a very good game,” said Fernandinho.”It was easier at the back because we played as a team and the guys up-front closed down the space.”I’ve been training in this position since the start of the season. Pep knows all about our squad and team. Today was my opportunity and I hope I can improve more.”
Newcastle legend Shearer: Almiron has no confidence whatsoeverby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveToon legend Alan Shearer was unimpressed by Newcastle United’s performance in their 0-0 draw with Brighton.United had chances to win but they had far inferior possession statistics and were indebted to Fabian Schar for keeping out Aaron Mooy’s shot. Even the late introduction of Andy Carroll to attempt to spark the team into life didn’t work. Analysing the match, Shearer said of his former side: “You can see why both of these teams are struggling to score. I thought it was a poor game. Brighton were the better team, Newcastle were really poor.“But still had two very, very good chances they should have scored from. The first one Almiron had no confidence whatsoever. I never fancied him to score. He desperately needs a goal, still hasn’t scored.“And then Joelinton finds himself eight yards out and with a free header (from a corner). He should score.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
zoom UK shipbuilder Cammell Laird has held a keel laying ceremony for the new GBP 150 million (USD 183.5 million) polar research vessel at Birkenhead site in Liverpool City Region.The new ship is named after David Attenborough, English broadcaster and naturalist who started the keel laying process by initiating the lifting by crane of the first hull unit on to the construction berth.This unit, weighing around 100 tons, includes part of the ship’s keel and is the first of 97 units which will be erected to form the entire hull of the research ship.Scheduled to set sail in 2019, the new ship RRS Sir David Attenborough will enable expeditions and deploy advanced marine robotics to explore inaccessible areas. The vessel will be operated by British Antarctic Survey (BAS) and deployed in both Antarctic and Arctic.“The RRS Sir David Attenborough, with Boaty McBoatface operated from her as a robotic underwater vehicle, will be one of the most advanced research ships in the world,” Jo Johnson, Universities and Science Minister, said.The GBP 200 million (USD 244.6 million) investment is said to be the biggest UK Government investment in Antarctic and Arctic science infrastructure since the 1980s. It is expected to enable the UK research community to conduct polar research for the next 25 years.The funding will also cover the development of projects to support the ship’s work including construction of a new wharf at the largest British Antarctic facility, Rothera Research Station.In October 2015, Cammell Laird was selected by the country’s government as the preferred bidder to build the polar research ship.According to an online poll conducted by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) earlier this year, the new vessel was supposed to be christened Boaty McBoatface as the name remained on top of the entries with over 124 thousand votes.However, NERC said that the chances for the ship to be named so were small since the council wanted the name to be “inspirational and exemplify the work it will do.”
Lest there was any shred of remaining doubt about Kim Cattrall’s feelings toward her former Sex and the City co-star Sarah Jessica Parker, an Instagram post put the matter to rest Saturday.“You are not my friend,” Cattrall wrote in a message directed at Parker, less than one week after her 55-year-old brother, Chris Cattrall, was found dead at his home in Canada.An accompanying image with the post read: “I don’t need your love or support at this tragic time @sarahjessicaparker.” Advertisement Login/Register With: Parker had expressed sympathy for Cattrall’s family at a red-carpet event Thursday, telling Extra that “we all send her our love and condolences” while, in the same interview, not ruling out the possibility of a third Sex and the City movie, but without Cattrall.“If somebody in your life, whether you’re in touch with them or not, is suffering for any reason, it’s involuntary that you want to convey condolences or sadness or just let someone know you’re thinking about them,” Parker told Entertainment Tonight.Cattrall wasn’t having it, clapping back by suggesting Parker was a “hypocrite” and saying even her mother wondered when she would leave Cattrall alone. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Twitter Advertisement Facebook From left, Cynthia Nixon, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall and Kristin Davis. Cattrall and Parker reportedly have not gotten along for years. (PETER KRAMER / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILE PHOTO)
APTN NewsThe government has signed off on a bill to remove sex-discrimination from the Indian Act.Lillian Dyck, a First Nation senator from Saskatchewan, confirmed on her Facebook page the vote on the bill known as S-3 took place Monday.“I am relieved and happy,” Dyck posted.“It’s not perfect but we in the Senate from all caucuses will ensure that the clause implementing the removal of the 1951 cut-off gets enacted!”Dyck is a member of the Senate’s Committee on Aboriginal Peoples, which refused to move the bill forward without an amendment to who gets status.It introduced an amendment to eliminate the discrimination she says has been hard on Aboriginal women since the Act was introduced in 1876, by preventing them from passing their status onto their children like men do.The government agreed to the amendment but introduced a cut-off date of 1951. That stalled the passage again until this week.Dyck promised to keep an eye on it.“The Senate will not allow the equality to be delayed indefinitely,” she said on Facebook.“The government has to report back to us and to the House of Commons at five months and 12 months after consultations on implementing the inclusion of the pre-1951 group.”The bill is now awaiting Royal Assent before it becomes law.
ATLANTA – A California man who operated what prosecutors say was one of the most successful illegal music sharing websites on the internet has been sentenced to five years in federal prison.The U.S. attorney’s office in Atlanta said in a news release Thursday that 30-year-old Artur Sargsyan of Glendale, California, owned and operated Sharebeast.com and other websites. Prosecutors say his file-sharing infrastructure allowed the illegal download of about a billion copyrighted musical works from at least 2012 through 2015.Sargsyan pleaded guilty in September to criminal copyright infringement for private financial gain. In addition to the prison term, the judge ordered him to pay $458,200 in restitution and to forfeit nearly $185,000.Prosecutors say Sargsyan ignored repeated notifications that he was illegally hosting and sharing copyrighted works.
“If there is no active injection operation nearby then certainly we will consider this to be a natural tectonic earthquake,” Kao said. ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE, A.B. – A second earthquake in less than a week shook central Alberta on Sunday, although a seismologist notes it occurred in a different geologic region than a quake last week that’s been linked to fracking.Honn Kao with the Geological Survey of Canada says the 4.4 magnitude quake was detected at around 4 a.m., with an epicentre about 32 kilometres northwest of Rocky Mountain House.Kao says no damage has been reported, although he says many people who live in the area have reported feeling it, one as far away as Edmonton. A 4.6 magnitude earthquake last Monday that was felt in the communities of Red Deer and Sylvan Lake has prompted the Alberta Energy Regulator to order a company to suspend fracking operations at a well site.Kao notes that while the two quakes were geographically close, Sunday’s quake happened in the Rocky Mountains geological system, whereas last week’s event occurred in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin.Cara Tobin, a spokeswoman for the AER, says there doesn’t appear to have been any industrial activity in the area of the most recent earthquake, but staff will be checking the data to make sure.“As inactive as Alberta is tectonically, this area is comparatively active, and so we do see more seismic activity in that area than we do in other areas,” Tobin said of the region where Sunday’s earthquake occurred.In August 2014, a 4.3 magnitude earthquake occurred in the same region. It didn’t do any damage but power was disrupted to about 500 customers, including a gas plant near Rocky Mountain House.Following last week’s quake, the AER said Vesta Energy Ltd. must suspend hydraulic fracturing operations at its well site, and must submit a report of all seismic activity in the area since April, as well as specific fracturing data for the well site from Jan. 29 to March 4. The regulator has also ordered Vesta to file a plan to eliminate or reduce future seismic activity from fracturing.Hydraulic fracturing involves pumping chemicals and sand underground to break up rocks to help get oil and natural gas flowing.Kao said some of the people who felt Sunday’s quake reported they were woken up by the shaking.He said more analysis will be needed to say definitively that the two quakes weren’t linked, but at the moment there doesn’t appear to be any evidence of it.